Real Madrid give UEFA ‘all available evidence’ for Vinícius Jr. probe
0 4 mins 3 hrs


Real Madrid has sent UEFA “all available evidence” of the alleged racist insult against Vinícius Júnior in the Champions League match against Benfica.

“Our club has actively collaborated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match,” the club said on Thursday without elaborating on the evidence.

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win over Benfica in the first leg of the knockout round of the Champions League.

Vinícius accused Benfica player Gianluca Prestianni of calling him “monkey” after the Brazilian scored the only goal. Prestianni was among the Benfica players upset with Vinícius after the forward celebrated by the Benfica corner flag.

Prestianni covered his mouth with his shirt when he allegedly spoke to the Brazilian player and denied racially abusing Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain.

“Real Madrid appreciates the unanimous support, backing, and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all areas of the global football community,” the club said. “Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence, and hate in sports and society.”

The match was paused in line with UEFA regulations after Vinicius alleged he had been abused after celebrating scoring for Real, resulting in a stoppage in play that lasted 10 minutes, with Vinicius going on to complete the full game.

After the game, Vinicius posted in Portuguese on his Instagram story: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are.

– UCL talking points: PSG’s comeback win, Bodø/Glimt surprise Inter, more
Ex-PL referee Mark Clattenburg apologises for Vinícius Júnior comments
Vinícius Jr. racism allegation prompts UEFA investigation

“But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family’s.

“I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. Still not understanding why. On the other side, just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose.”

Benfica said Prestianni was the victim of a “defamation campaign” and welcomed the investigation opened by UEFA on Wednesday, saying it “fully supports and believes the version presented” by Prestianni.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said on Wednesday he was “shocked and saddened to see the incident of alleged racism” and praised the referee for activating the anti-racism protocol during the match, which was halted for nearly 10 minutes at the Stadium of Light.

Information from The Associated Press and PA contributed to this report.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *